"Humanity"

"Humanity"

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The work continues...

I probably should take a night off..I did the other night but I wanted to share the progress made today by the afternoon class.  I think we have turned a corner today regarding our mural project and the overall feeling of working as a group.  We had 4 people identified as the leaders for this endeavor.  They were reluctant to start on the huge 2 meters by 5 meters paper we had taped to the wall, but basically I made them start by reminding them that they were chosen by their peers.  In this group the feeling was that all voices should be heard.  And so, they allowed each artist to contribute an element of their drawing to the big composition.  I stepped in from time to time, and pointed out trouble areas...especially in the beginning when the 4 "leaders" drew the largest drawings EVER across the paper. Funny. Until someone pointed out that they needed to save space for other drawings.  But you know..there was a lot of laughing and working and zinging and it was great...I watched the dynamic change before my very eyes...and it was very unexpected. They knew each other before..and they exhibit a lot together but the difference is they are relaxing in front of me...and with me.  This is a wonderful feeling.  I am including the drawing on paper for the mural from the afternoon group. Tomorrow the morning group will do the same thing...but I know the result will be completely different. 

 I love this picture of Bechir (in front), Hamadi (on the bottom) and Amal (in the back).

 Ahmed is a very talented artist.  He is unable to speak but almost everyone 
communicates with him by using sign language or gesturing. 



Thats all for tonight...more tomorrow..I am tired and must go to sleep...

1 comment:

  1. I love to catch up on your activities so no nights off! I will try and find you again on skype but I dint want to interrupt your blogging! I'm so proud of you and happy for you. I can actually hear the joy in your blogs!

    ReplyDelete