"Humanity"

"Humanity"

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Links to get to know the artists better...

I have spent the morning watching videos of the artists that Francesca sent me.  It is so great to see them work in their own spaces.  I have really enjoyed learning about them this way.  The workshop brings everyone together but I don't have a sense of how they work away from there..when they can just be themselves and create.  Here are some links to the short films on some of artists that are in the workshop.  There are a total of 22 artists, so this is only a few of them...

Mamadou Anne tells stories through is work. He also teaches other artists.  He is an expressionistic painter who collages images together, divides their forms and explores the mystical and the magical.  You can find many many stories within one canvas.  I think he is a dedicated artist--very motivated, who works well into the early hours of the morning to find the story he wants to tell.  Sometimes I would like him to show me less..let my eye rest to take in some of the more important elements in his painting. Every day he greets me in English: "Michelle, how do you feel?"

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xd090j_mamadou-anne-le-conteur-d-images_creation

I have talked about Morkis a lot I think.  He has taught and supported many of the younger artists.  I appreciate his comments, his skills and experience, his warm personality and his easy way with people.  He is also one of the most well known painters here in Mauritania.  His paintings hang in the President's residence.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xd0bfd_mokhis-le-pionnier_creation

I love watching Bechir paint because he is so confident..and his confidence is not misplaced.  He knows how to draw and paint.  He has an intuitive way of applying paint and understands the importance of shadow and darks as well as the highlights.  He has chosen to do figurative painting in the workshop but he is an abstract painter.  I need to understand more about why he chooses the stylized abstract forms.  I wonder what it means to him and if there is real significance in the forms or if it is simply an element of the composition.  He grew up in Liberia and so..he speaks English perfectly.  He brings a different experience to the workshop.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xczwre_bechir-malum-l-homme-sans-frontiere_creation

Amy invited me to see her studio.  I loved it. It is located just next to her house.  I am including photos because I found it so beautiful and inviting.  She has a great sense of style and aesthetic.  I think she should explore sculpture or design clothes.  I need to learn more about her way of painting.  She does abstract painting and I have a hard time knowing what it is all about without her explanation.  The film helped me a little.  I think Amy could go in many directions with her art.  I look forward to seeing her work in the future. 




http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xb2ens_amy-sow-l-art-et-la-femme_creation

Sidi-yaya is not in the workshop but he was one of the pioneers of painting in Mauritinia.  I didn't realize he was also working in sculpture until I watched this film.  He works at a Mauritanian school now and also part time at the American School.  I am not sure how much time he has left for doing his own work.   It is amazing to hear him talk about how it was in the beginning and how it is now.  He stresses that most young artists do not have formal training.  I see this in the younger artists. 
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xd0h0b_sidi-yahya-le-poete-des-traces_creation

The less experienced  want to soak up as much as possible...learn more about technique.  I would love to stay and provide that opportunity for them..to learn more about the importance of drawing from observation and a strong composition.  It can only help improve their work.  As an artist, I always feel like I am searching for more.  Finding one's voice is so crucial in making art, but that voice has to be able to change, move, grow, evolve...whatever you want want to call it.

We will finish the mural in the next three hours I think.  I will post a picture of it even if we do not finish.  It has been a very exciting project.  The U.S. Ambassador will unveil it on the 22nd  of November right before the opening of the exhibit.  It will be a great occasion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment