"Humanity"

"Humanity"

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Waiting in Paris..

Almost there!!!!!!!!  I have actually managed to get myself to Paris.  I am now waiting for my plane to Nouakchott.   I have three huge suitcases and two boxes full of art materials checked all the way through and I just pray they all arrive untouched.  Don't ask why I am carrying it all there.  I am actually not sure of the reason myself.  But hey, its all part of the experience.  I know this trip is going to be allllll about flexibility and adapting quickly.  We even had to have someone (Chris and Nitza) drive to Dakar, Senegal to purchase paint...a lot of paint.  You see, oil paint was not available in Mauritania.   Amazing how resourceful one can be though.  I do plan on finding local materials to use during this month, out of curiosity but also because it will be an interesting part of the experience to learn what materials artists are using there.

So..I feel..very excited.  I also feel a bit nervous..but I know that as soon as I arrive everything will start to feel right.  I am no stranger to West Africa, but Mauritania is completely new to me.  Since I haven't explained exactly what I will be doing there, here is a short description of the program: To celebrate 50 years of friendship between the U.S. and Mauritania through an art program that brings together Mauritanian artists and..me!  I will lead drawing and painting workshops for two and a half weeks with 10 artists in the morning and 10 in the afternoon.  Three hours for each group.  At the end, we will all put up the show and exhibit our work together at the National Museum.  We will have an opening to celebrate.  Also during the four weeks, we will paint a mural somewhere in the city.  And..I believe there will be a day to visit a Mauritanian school and do a project there as well.  Lots to do this month...I look forward to sharing my thoughts, pictures of the city, desert, people, artists, etc. with all of you.  I love Africa...and I feel truly blessed to have this wonderful opportunity.  And thank you in advance for your patience because I am a brand new blogger..I will post when I get there!  bye for now..

1 comment:

  1. What a nice surprise to see you this morning in Paris! You are going to have the time of your life and learn and grow tons. Remember, nothing worth doing in life isn't just a bit scary or intimidating. If you didn't have at least one freak out moment before all of the important moments in your life there would be something wrong with you!
    Continue to fly safe and have a wonderful trip I can't wait to see the pictures and hear all about your students and their lives!
    I love you.

    ReplyDelete